Wednesday, May 23, 2012

DIY- Navy and Gold Rope Necklace

Wow, this is my 100th post! It's crazy how time flies by when you are having fun, and I am. I feel like my blog has been a great outlet for my creativity. This week for DIY Wednesday, I made this navy and gold rope necklace.


I noticed lately that rope is being used for necklaces and bracelets. I decided to make my own, so in a few easy steps this necklace can be yours.

Materials needed are:

Colored gold metal in a roll, used in last week's DIY.

These can be found at any local hardware store. They were cheap! You will need one of the large size.

You will need two of this size.

This rope can be purchased at JoAnn fabrics and it was $2.99 a yard, I think a belt will be in my future made from these ropes. You will only need a 1/2 yard for this project.

You will need both of these, but I would probably buy the cupped fasteners for the end, the next time I make one of these.

This can also be found sold by the roll at JoAnn fabrics- you only need an 2 inches.



Metal texturizing tool, also used in last week's DIY.
Also needed for this project ar scissors, wire cutters, and Goop glue.

Step 1: Cut a piece of the metal roll so that enough hangs over each piece of pvc piping.

Step 2: This metal is soft, so you can fold it into the hole of the pipe. Make sure it is as flat as possible, with no bumps. This process will need to be repeated three times with each piece of piping.


Step 3: Use the tool to texturize the metal and apply Goop glue over the edge where the metal comes together.


Step 4 : Tie a knot with both ropes, then slide the pvc on, and repeat! Also, when you twist the ropes together, make sure to put a dab of glue to hold the twist.
Step 5: Your necklace should look like this, after each knot.



Step 6: Wrap the gold wire with pliers on the end. String on the clasp before closing the wire.


The last step is to add the gold pyramid appliques on the two outer pvc pipes. Then your necklace is complete!
Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you ...