Monday, February 3, 2014

DIY- Zipper Embellishment


Hi everybody, I hope you had a great weekend. Recently, one of my friends went to NYC. She came back with a similar sweatshirt like the one in this post. I adored it and thought to myself, I can make it especially with my new sewing machine. So, I picked up this sweatshirt from the thrift store and a 24 inch black zipper from Hobby Lobby. Total this project was $7.00 and the zipper was actually more expensive than the sweatshirt. You may have a sweatshirt in your closet that you can use.  This zipper is purely decorative, but if you are skilled in the sewing department you could make it functional.  This project is so easy and I loved how it turned out. Zippers are my new favorite embellishment.






Materials you will need for this project are a sewing machine, black thread, 24 inch zipper, scissors, stick pins, and a sweatshirt.

Step 1: Lay your sweatshirt on a flat surface.


Step 2: Lay your zipper across your sweatshirt diagonally. I placed the top of the zipper a little over my shoulder. Use stick pins to keep zipper in place.


Step 3: Sew the zipper on. My sewing skills are not the best and if your line is not perfectly straight the black material beside the zipper hides your line. You can leave the zipper closed or open. For a different look, leave open to see the material between the zipper.

 This is my fabulous sewing machine I got for Christmas from my mom.






Do you have a favorite embellishment?


Linking up at Monday Mingle .


4 comments:

  1. I love it! I am so impressed with your talents. Zippers are seriously tricky to sew! Now I've got to get out my new machine and find a sweatshirt at Goodwill :) Can't wait to see what you do next.
    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, Love, Love the sweatshirt. www.LifeAsAThriftyGurl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loooove it. What a great idea. And my favorite embellishment? A glass of wine. Wait - WHAT?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great going! I am so glad that you got a machine for Christmas. Here's to whipping up more fun projects.

    How's Operation Hair Grow Out coming along? I am embracing my new growth, but could use a trim soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you ...